Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Smells of Summer

It was not too long ago when the "smells of summer" started here in NY. It starts with the grill in April...yes there was still snow on the ground...but the grill was calling here in NY. The smell of chicken and steak...what a minute, steak - yeah right...let's try tube steak - (for those of you who are not sure what tube steaks are...I will break it to you gently...HOT DOGS!)

My sister and I can remember the many Wednesday nights at Awana when all the kids would come smelling of hotdogs. I guess all the moms were trying to think of a quick and simple meal. Unfortunately, the moms did not account for the awful breath that would accompany each child. Times it by 3 or 4 and you have a hotdog nightmare...

okay a little off the subjuct...but had to put that in...
Other smells... banana tropics sun lotion (not a bad smell)
OR, for those who really burn - the NO-AD lotion SPF 45 (horrid smell)
Now the new smell for the week...OFF bug spray - the smell that lingers even after your shower. At least I know that I will not eaten in my bed.
The other smell - grass - For some reason, when I substitute at different schools, I always hit the mowing days. The smell of the grass plus the noise makes for a very distracted group of kiddos and a very frustrated teacher.:(
I suppose there are worse things like...Lancaster farm smells, always occuring at the end of the semester in summer when you really need to have the windows open...or...those white, flowering trees at LBC - my friends that graduated with me there already know the smell that goes with those babies! Go PA! GO!

3 comments:

rachel said...

My husband calls them "stinky trees". But it's always said this way, "Shew-ie, stinky trees!" Makes perfect sense, eh? :o)

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Fresh mowed grass, or a spring rain...those are probably my favorites...oh and lilacs and lilies of the valley, and...and...

weirdbunny said...

tube steaks sound really fancy, so to discover their hot dogs that would be such a let down at a resturant!!!!!